Bienvenido visitante, puede Iniciar Sesión o Join the Community

10. English Language Development (ELD) and Academic Language Development (ALD) in a Dual Language Program


Provide English Language Development (ELD) for the English Learners and Academic Language Development (ALD) for the English-only students in the dual language education program.


It is important to provide targeted language development support for the English Learners in the dual language education program as well as for the English-only students, especially those in a 90:10 program, where only a small portion of the day is spent in English in the primary grades. Providing ELD for English Learners is also a federal and state requirement.

    Implement an Articulated English Language Development/Academic Language Development (ELD/ALD) Program

    • English Learners receive ELD; English-only students receive ALD.
    • In a 90:10 program, English Learners and English-only students should participate in a joint ELD/ALD program, as this is the only time that the students will be receiving instruction in English.
      • Just as the English Learners are the strong target language model during instruction in the target language, the English-only students are the strong language models during ELD/ALD.
    • Identify a team partner for the dual language education teacher who will provide the ELD/ALD and be the English-speaking model for the dual language education program class.
      • For a 90:10 program, it is recommended that the partner teacher in grades kindergarten through second grade be bilingual.
        • Although ELD/ALD is delivered in English, it is beneficial for the teacher to understand the students if they were to ask questions in the target language.


    • Federal guidelines require that English Learners receive a minimum number of minutes per day of ELD. Be sure to include the appropriate number of minutes when calculating the instructional time in English.
Last Updated: 
Join the Discussion: 
Are you able to explain the difference between ELD/ALD to your School Staff who may not know the difference? What qualifications do you think are necessary for the partner teacher of the English portion to have in order to effectively supplement their education?

Añadir nuevo comentario

You must have Javascript enabled to use this form.