Continue to provide professional development on dual language education for the Leadership Team, other district and site administrators, and site certificated and classified staff.
As the dual language education program grows, it will be important to continue to support the knowledge base of those who are supporting and/or implementing the program.
- Conduct a needs assessment on an annual basis to determine the focus of the professional development for the year for the Leadership Team, other district and site administrators, and site certificated and classified staff.
- Often, districts will reach out to a consultant who specializes in the area of dual language education to provide this type of professional development. Consultants can be found through:
- Professional development on dual language education programs is also available through many conferences across the school year. These conferences include:
- California Association for Bilingual Education (CABE): Annual Conference (www.bilingualeducation.org)
- Dual Language Education New Mexico (DLeNM): La Cosecha (www.dlenm.org)
- Association of Two-Way and Dual Language Education (ATDLE): (www.atdle.org)
- National Association for Bilingual Education (NABE): Annual Conference (www.nabe.org)
What qualities will you look for in a consultant? Do you have the budget to send your teachers to conferences? What do you need to attain the ability to do this?