Signal to the school and community that target culture and language are as important as the mainstream culture and English at the school site.
Creating a welcoming environment for the dual language education program is very important. It is a visible endorsement of the value of both cultures and languages. For many sites, this will be a significant shift, and district and site administrative support will critical to the program being seen as a benefit for all students instead of only benefiting the English Learners.
- Campus signs should be in both English and the target language.
- Office personnel should be bilingual (English and the target language)
- Should know dual language education program well enough to answer questions that parents may have when considering enrolling their children in the program.
- Promote field trips for students in the program to learn about the target language culture.
- Encourage students to use the target language outside the classroom.