Responsible for teaching music education to students in grades K-5, and assists the staff of the school in the improvement and appreciation of music instruction. Helps students grow in their enjoyment, appreciation, and performance of music through a variety of planned musical experiences which include singing, moving to music, playing of instruments and musical performances. Position located in new dual immersion magnet school opening in August of 2018.
- Teaches skills in music understanding/appreciation, harmony, explorations in music and choral music to elementary students.
- Support the development of cultural awareness and understanding through music
- Plans/executes a balanced music program and organizes class time so that preparation, rehearsal and instruction can be accomplished within the allotted time.
- Provides individual and small group instruction in order to adapt the music curriculum to the needs of each student.
- Encourages students to develop individual musical skills to the greatest extent possible. Utilizes repertoire of all types of music literature, including traditional and contemporary that are appropriate for the ages and skill levels of students.
- Maintains care/responsibility for school-owned music, musical instruments and equipment to prevent loss or abuse.
- Makes minor adjustments and requests repairs to instruments as required.
- Evaluates each students’ musical growth, performance, and musical understanding. Assesses each individual’s contribution to the performance of the group.
- Selects appropriate music, books and instructional aids to enhance learning and requisitions musical instruments and instructional supplies as necessary.
- Cooperation with Building Principal and staff in providing musical programs for school assemblies, open house, parent meetings and seasonal programs.
- Communicates with parents and school staff on individual student’s progress.